On this page you'll find illustrated directions for making your own Doorway Puppet Stage. New projects are added to this site regularly, so check back often. If you want to be notified when new projects are posted, please join the mailing list.
Doorway Puppet Stage
2 tension spring rods (size 7/16" round, 28"-48" long)
1-1/2 yards printed fabric of your choice, 45" wide
1 yard light blue fabric or 45" of light blue felt off the bolt (Use felt if you'd like to velcro on scene elements and props.)
Directions for Making Stage
1. Using the full 45" width of the printed fabric, cut a piece that is 43-1/2" long. Using a sewing machine, hem the top and bottom cut edges with a narrow (scant 1/4") hem. Or roll edge the cut ends with a serger.
2. Fold over 1" at top of skirt and sew a straight line across the fabric to create a casing (rod pocket). Insert one of the tension rods.
Topper & Backdrop:
1. Using the full 45" width of printed fabric, cut a piece that is 8" long and hem or serge bottom cut edge only. (If using blue felt as the back drop in the next step, hem or serge both cut edges.)
2. Using the full 45" width of light blue backdrop fabric or felt, cut a piece that is 32" long. For fabric only, hem or serge the bottom cut edge only. (If using felt, no need to hem because the cut edges won't fray.)
3. Place the right sides of the topper and backdrop fabrics together, meeting top unhemmed edges.
A.If using blue fabric, sew a 1/4" seam along the top edge to join the two pieces. Press open seam. Bring topper to front and press. Sew a 1" casing (rod pocket) as descibed above and insert tension rod.
B. If using felt, place the topper and backdrop together with wrong sides together. To create a rod pocket, first sew across the entire width 1/2" inch down from top edge, then sew another line 1" down from the first line of stitching. Insert tension rod.
Place in doorway and enjoy!
Using the tension rods to firmly hold in place, place the topper with background in the door frame above the skirt. It should be at a comfortable level for the child to stand behind and manipulate puppets. Have child hold puppets between the skirt and backdrop. Now sit back and enjoy the show!
Copyrighted 2001 by Kathryn Sheehan of The Silver Penny.